In the winter months, your heating system is working at its maximum, which puts you at higher risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. Did you know that carbon monoxide is the most toxic substance that you can come into contact with in your daily life?
What is carbon monoxide?
Carbon monoxide, or CO, is a colorless, odorless and poisonous gas. It is produced by the incomplete combustion of solid, liquid and gaseous fuels. Appliances using gas, oil, kerosene or wood may produce CO.
Who is at risk of CO poisoning?
A person or animal in a space shared with a device capable of producing CO could be considered at risk of poisoning. CO gas, having no warning properties, even at toxic and lethal levels, is considered a silent killer.
How can I avoid CO poisoning?
Dangerous levels of carbon monoxide can be prevented by proper appliance maintenance, installation and use. The timely inspection of CO-producing appliances and using monitored detectors are also key ways to preventing death caused by carbon monoxide.
How does a carbon monoxide detector work?
A carbon monoxide detector sounds an alarm when it detects a high level of carbon monoxide. There are a number of designs with different options and functions. Some will let you know of the presence of low levels of CO while others just send a warning signal when the amount of CO is at a life-threatening level.
Speak to a professional about how a carbon monoxide detector can help you. Visit the Find a Distributor page to find a professional Distributor near you.